PhysTEC Teacher of the Year
2020 National PhysTEC Teacher of the Year
See all previous awardees
The PhysTEC Teacher of the Year program recognizes outstanding high school physics educators who demonstrate the impact and value of physics teacher preparation programs. Especially now, teachers deserve recognition and to be championed for their efforts.
Each year, PhysTEC member institutions submit their recommendations to the selection committee, and one National Teacher of the Year and several Local Teachers of the Year are selected.
Faculty, submit your teacher nominations today! Nominations close on April 9, 2021.
This year, PhysTEC will recognize one teacher from each nominating institution. From that pool of Local Teachers of the Year, PhysTEC will then select a National Teacher of the Year.
Teacher of the Year selection process
- Nominations Open: March 1, 2021
- Nominations Close: April 9, 2021
- Applications for National award Open: May 3, 2021
- Applications for National award Close: May 21, 2021
How to Apply:
- Faculty from PhysTEC member institutions may nominate teacher alumni by April 9. See Eligibility, below.
- After nominations close, Local Teacher of the Year winners will be selected.
- PhysTEC will notify local winners and encourage them to apply for the National Teacher of the Year prize.
- Applicants for the National Teacher of the Year award must submit an application by May 21.
- Applicant’s CV or resume
- Letter of recommendation from applicant’s nominating institution
- Letter of recommendation from applicant’s supervisor
- Essay question responses describing the applicant’s outstanding efforts in teaching physics
- The application package consists of:
Teacher of the Year nominees must be:
- Selected by a PhysTEC member institution,
- A graduate of the selecting institution
- An active high school science teacher with at least three years of experience in physics teaching, and
- Able to demonstrate their significant positive impact on students’ learning and pursuit of physics
Local Winners receive:
- A certificate of achievement
- A spotlight on our website and in press
National Winners also receive:
- Speaking engagements and travel funding to the next Summer AAPT and PhysTEC Conference
- Special recognition at the PhysTEC Conference
- $1,000 classroom materials grant
PhysTEC strives to improve and promote the education of future physics teachers.
More than 300 colleges and universities across the United States collaborate with PhysTEC to boost recruitment and student success in their physics teacher training programs. Not yet a member? Join today.
If you have any questions, please contact the PhysTEC team (firstname.lastname@example.org).