Thriving Programs Study
The PhysTEC project conducted a study of “thriving” physics teacher education programs (defined as programs that frequently graduate five or more physics teachers per year). The goal of the study was to identify common practices and structures of these highly successful programs so that these approaches may be emulated by other physics teacher education programs.
The Physics Teacher Education Program Analysis (PTEPA) Rubric was developed to characterize the practices and structures observed at thriving programs, providing a guide for program leaders to reflect upon and improve their programs, and enable measurement and research over time.
This page contains the PTEPA Rubric and other supporting materials.
Webinar on the PTEPA Rubric
- Print-ready format (fillable PDF)
- PTEPA Rubric Interactive V2.1 (Excel workbook with visualization features)
- Getting Started with the PTEPA Rubric: 10 questions to consider regarding the strength of physics teacher education at your institution
- Rubric Snapshot: Overview of the PTEPA Rubric
- User's Guide: How to use the PTEPA Rubric to improve your program
- PTEPA Party: A one-page guide for collaborating with colleagues on completing the PTEPA Rubric
- A Study of Thriving Physics Teacher Education Programs: Full Report
- PTEPA Rubric items with strong TIR influence
Institutions Studied for the Thriving Programs Study
- Georgia State University
- University of Colorado Boulder
- Rutgers University
- Rowan University
- California Polytechnic University-San Luis Obispo
- Stony Brook University
- Brigham Young University
- University of Texas at Austin
- Stephanie V. Chasteen – Chasteen Educational Consulting
- Rachel E. Scherr – Scherr & Associates
- Monica Plisch – American Physical Society
Additional publications about the PTEPA
- Development and validation of the Physics Teacher Education Program Analysis (PTEPA) Rubric
- Developing the Physics Teacher Education Program Analysis rubric: Measuring features of thriving programs
- Initial findings of the Physics Teacher Education Program Analysis rubric: What do thriving programs do?
Stephanie V. Chasteen, Rachel E. Scherr and Monica Plisch, A study of thriving physics teacher education programs: Development of the Physics Teacher Education Program Analysis (PTEPA) Rubric. (American Physical Society, College Park, MD, 2018).