The 5+ Club
The 5+ Club: Solving the US Physics Teacher Shortage
Did your college or university graduate five or more physics teachers in the last academic year? Apply to join PhysTEC’s The 5+ Club! The 2019-2020 application is now closed.
Did You Know?
School districts in the United States consistently rank physics as the highest teacher shortage area among all academic disciplines. The 5+ Club bridges the gap by reinforcing the efforts of US-based colleges and universities to graduate more physics educators. Since 2012, The 5+ Club has recognized dozens of postsecondary institutions for graduating five or more physics teachers in a given year, a figure that puts them in the 99th percentile of all institutions.
For every qualifying application, PhysTEC will:
- Send a letter of commendation cosigned by the presidents of the American Physical Society (APS) and American Association of Physics Teachers (AAPT) to the institution’s president and relevant administrators
- Present a certificate of recognition to the applying faculty and their department
- Congratulate new members of The 5+ Club in APS News and the AAPT eNNOUNCER
- Include the institution in The 5+ Club online directory
- Provide both a draft press release and web badge for the program to publish as desired
The Fine Print:
Applying institutions must be PhysTEC members. Membership is open to all US-based postsecondary schools with a passion for graduating exceptional physics educators. Not yet a member? Join today.
Thank you for doing your part to address the shortage of physics teachers in the United States. With questions, please contact the PhysTEC team at PhysTEC@aps.org.