Professional Development Opportunity Detail Page
|Name:||Mechanics Modeling Workshop at Merrimack College in North Andover, MA (Boston area)|
|Opportunity Type:||Modeling Workshop
|Teacher Level:||High School
|Description:||This Modeling Workshop is open to physics and physical science teachers worldwide.
PEER LEADER: Darren Broder
Mechanics Modeling Workshop
GOALS: Each Modeling Workshop is an intensive 2- or 3-week course with these goals:
1. Educate teachers in use of a model-centered, guided-inquiry, interactive engagement method of teaching.
2. Help participants integrate computer courseware effectively into the curriculum.
3. Help teachers make better use of national resources for science education.
4. Establish electronic network support and a learning community among participants.
5. Strengthen local institutional support for participants as school leaders in disseminating standards-based reform in science education.
Click here to learn more about Modeling Instruction and the American Modeling Teachers Association (AMTA) or visit http://modelinginstruction.org/professional-development/ to find information on Modeling Workshops nationwide and strategies to seek funding (if needed) to participate.
|Duration:||8 days. Meet 8-5 M-Th|
or until filled
Benefits and Requirements
|Cost:||in 2017, the cost was $1095/participant. I anticipate no change.|
College Transcript Credit
|Benefit Explanation:||The cost includes workshop materials, morning refreshments, lunch for the 8 days and a 1 year membership to the AMTA. Cost also includes 3 graduate credits through Merrimack College. Register at the link above. College is currently considering making dorms available to workshop participants.
More details as they become available. Contact Darren Broder at the email address below with any questions.
|Other Prerequisites:||Two semesters of trigonometry-based college physics.|
Professional Development Opportunity Contact Information
515 Loudon Road
Albany, NY 12211