James Madison University: Early Teaching Experience
- Continued implementation of two-credit pedagogy course and the LA program is becoming established as usual practice.
- Recruiting colleagues in the introductory sequence to implement LAs and Tutorials, a departure from the traditional lecture-based approach.
- Efforts are underway to institutionalize financial support for the LA program and make the pedagogy course a permanent offering.
- Students enjoy these experiences greatly, but they must be structured in order for students to be well prepared to present information to others.
- LAs have been used since 2011, with refinements each year in their implementation.
- Pedagogy course offered for the second time, including an opportunity to teach a brief lesson at a local high school.