The 5+ Club Supported Site
Georgia State University: Teacher-in-Residence
- The first year TIR mentored pre-service teachers, including meetings with students considering teaching careers.
- The TIR observed three pre-service teachers while they were doing student teaching in high school physics classrooms. She met with the pre-service teachers for feedback, evaluated their portfolios and other required work, and assigned grades for their student teaching course.
- The TIR participated in two regional conferences of SACS-AAPT and gave an oral presentation at the spring meeting.
- The TIR will give oral presentation at Summer AAPT meeting in Minneapolis in July 2014.
- The part-time schedule of TIR limited involvement in some PhysTEC activities.
- The limited time schedule made informal or drop-in interactions with future teachers and potential future teachers difficult.
- The College of Education has committed to find support for the TIR after the grant period and work is still needed to ensure follow through on this commitment.
- The logistics of hiring and supporting a TIR required a lot of work since many of the details were new occurrences including consultant contract, paying expenses, acquiring ID card, and parking.
- The TIR will get an individual office in Fall 2014, which will assist in visibility and accessibility to students.
- Connections between TIR and College of Education colleagues have been established.
- For a part-time TIR, the number of hours is not as much of a problem as the lack of flexibility in the schedule.
List of TIRs over the Project
- 2013-2014: Elizabeth Walker - over 20 years of experience as a physics teacher at North Cobb High School.
Finding and Hiring a TIR
- A College of Education colleague involved in work with in-service teachers was vital to finding the first TIR.
- The current TIR plays a large role in finding next TIR.
Typical TIR Activities
- TIR supervises student teaching of physics majors in teacher education concentration.
- TIR participates in a number of recruitment activities especially classroom visits to freshman classes.
- TIR attends and assists with physics pedagogy course.
- TIR participates in development of recruitment brochures and posters.