The 5+ Club Supported Site
University of Central Florida: Collaboration
- The College of Education and Human Performance (CEHP) advertised for the TIR position in their weekly newsletter.
- CEHP contacted the TIR to support a student in preparation for the physics certification exam.
- CEHP asked the physics department to host international science teachers for one day of their month long visit to the university.
- Orange County invited the TIR to conduct a training day for the physics certification exam.
- Osceola County invited the TIR to conduct a professional development day specifically for physics teachers, who were excited to have a physics specific activity.
- Several Learning Assistants served on a panel in a seminar course for the EXCEL program, which is targeted at recruiting and retaining STEM majors.
- While our activities have been reported to all College of Sciences chairs, the message has not trickled down to all STEM faculty.
- The CEHP Dean was invited to dinners with visitors related to STEM education reform.
- STEM education events are advertised via the Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning's weekly campus-wide newsletter.
- The STEM center director is invited to STEM education events.
- Collaborative efforts are most successful when both parties are contributing expertise in some way.
- We need to advertise our efforts more effectively to STEM faculty.
- Returning Learning Assistants developed and implemented lessons at a local school.
- Several physics faculty made presentations at local middle and high schools.
- All faculty are invited to the Learning Assistant poster session.