The 5+ Club Supported Site
University of Central Florida: Teacher-in-Residence
- Website, flyers, and newsletters established by TIR to generate interest and build PhysTEC program.
- Established a connection between Physics Department and College of Education and Human Performance.
- Established a connection between Physics Department and four local school districts (Orange County, Osceola County, Seminole County, Volusia County).
- TIR recruited two Learning Assistant pre-teacher students to Science Education MAT program.
- Worked with faculty and student groups to enhance outreach projects.
- TIR facilitated communication with professor and school, resulting in the professor visiting the school to show demos and give a talk on careers and research in modern physics.
- Need to create a system for new TIRs to successfully maintain projects that are started in previous years.
- TIR (and PhysTEC program) not initially accepted within College of Education and Human Performance.
- The University has agreed to support the TIR position for three years beyond the PhysTEC project.
- TIR to offer mentoring services to Science Education undergraduates.
- Our initial TIR's knowledge of both the physics and education departments at our institution was valuable.
- The TIR should be fully integrated with physics faculty.
List of TIRs over the Project
- [2013 - 2015]: Kevin Thomas - Taught for four years at Professional and Technical High School in Kissimmee, FL with a BS in Physics and MAT in Science Education from UCF.
Finding and Hiring a TIR
- Get names of local teachers who have participated in Modeling Instruction Workshops from the American Modeling Teachers Association.
- Directly email local high school physics teachers to advertise the position.
- Request Science Resource Specialists to recommend local teachers who may be interested in the position.
Typical TIR Activities
- Actively engage in recruitment strategies and planning.
- Assist faculty and student clubs in outreach activities.
- Teach/Co-teach introductory physics courses.
- Modify course curriculum.
- Interact with faculty to promote PhysTEC program within department.
- Plan and implement teacher workshops and mentoring.
- Arrange LAs and other pre-teacher students to obtain early teaching experience in local high schools.