Apply to the PhysTEC Fellows Program
The application process is currently closed.
The PhysTEC Fellows program provides recognition and support for postsecondary faculty looking to improve their physics teacher preparation programs. PhysTEC Fellows collaborate with their institutional team and a fellowship cohort to plan and implement changes.
Expertise and community building are provided through monthly video conferences and the annual PhysTEC Conference. In the course of the fellowship program, faculty members gain access to experts in physics teacher preparation, grow as community leaders, and become more competitive for funding opportunities.
Who can apply?
Faculty (either an individual or team of up to four) at PhysTEC member institutions who have not previously received funding from PhysTEC are eligible to apply. Not yet a PhysTEC member? Apply here.
- At least one team member must be a member of the physics department and at least one must be tenured. Members of other departments who are involved with STEM teacher preparation are also welcome to join a team
- Teams of more than two may apply, but funding for PhysTEC Conference attendance during award years will only be covered for up to two faculty members
How to apply:
Each application must include a cover sheet, letter of nomination, program summary, and personal statement. Please use the PhysTEC Fellows application cover sheet as a guide. When ready, email your application materials and cover sheet to email@example.com.
PhysTEC Fellows are expected to:
- Participate in monthly video conferences during the academic year. At least one Fellow from each team should be present
- Attend both the 2020 and 2021 PhysTEC Conferences (travel support is available for two Fellows from each institution)
- Develop and refine a plan of action for enhancing physics teacher preparation
- Submit a one-page annual report of current and planned strategies for improvement. The report must include current teacher graduate numbers
- Complete the PTEPA Rubric at least twice (once at the beginning of the Fellowship and once later) and submit the results to PhysTEC
- Implement Get the Facts Out at the institution
- Contact students and faculty annually to complete brief online surveys about their perceptions of K-12 teaching as a profession
If you have any questions, please contact David May at firstname.lastname@example.org or (301) 209-3252.