Professional Development Opportunity Detail Page
|Name:||Research Experience for Teachers (RET) in Nanotechnology|
|School/Institution:||Pennsylvania State University|
|Department/Unit:||Center for Nanoscale Science|
|Teacher Level:||Middle School
|Description:||The Research Experiences for Teachers (RET) is a six-week long residential program designed for middle and high school teachers who want to develop their knowledge of science inquiry through the use and application of nanotechnology. This is accomplished through the combination of research and enrichment activities to assist teachers in developing ideas, resources, and materials to engage and excite their students into these subjects.
As a RET Fellow, you will:
* Gain hands-on research experience working closely with leading scientists on exciting, interdisciplinary nanoscienceand nanotechnology projects.
* Develop a lesson plan and/or a curriculum unit based on yourresearch experience.
* Participate in aone-week professional development workshop to explore the world of materials science, engineering and nanotechnology.
* Participate in laboratories and facilities tours that illustrate scientific and engineering research at Penn State.
* Receive a $5,000 stipend for in-service teachers or a $4,000 stipend for pre-service teachers, plus housing and all reasonable travel expenses.
Benefits and Requirements
|Benefit Explanation:||$5,000 stipend for in-service teachers or a $4,000 stipend for pre-service teachers|
|Citizenship Requirement:||U.S. Citizen or U.S. Permanent Legal Resident
|Other Prerequisites:||* An appointment as a teacher of science, technology, engineering or math at a middle/high school or a community college.
* An interest in including nanotechnology in your curriculum.
* Demonstrated creativity in teaching.
* No prior research experience is necessary, but highly desirable.
* Women, minorities, and qualified persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Professional Development Opportunity Contact Information
Dr. Francelys Medina, MRSEC Education and Outreach Coordinator
University Park, PA 16802-6300