Professional Development Opportunity Detail Page

Previous Page  |  New Search  |  Browse All

Name: Pre-Service Teacher Internship
School/Institution: Idaho National Laboratory
City: Southeast area
State: ID
Opportunity Type: DOE Laboratory
Teacher Status: Preservice
Teacher Level: Elementary School
Middle School
High School
Description: The goal of the Pre-Service Teacher (PST) Internships project is to enhance the nation's source of proficient teachers of K-12 science, mathematics, and technology. The Idaho National Laboratory (INL) provides ten-week summer research appointments for pre-service teachers who plan to teach mathematics, science or technology in K-12 schools.  PST is a partnership between the Department of Energy (DOE) and INL to: Create a model for pre-service teachers' education in science, mathematics, and technology :  Provide an opportunity for a diverse population of pre-service teachers to experience laboratory-based research that can enrich science, math, and technology instruction.  During the summer the pre-service teachers are immersed in clearly defined research experiences at DOE national laboratories. The pre-service teachers are mentored by a master teacher and mentor scientists at the INL to maximize the development of content, knowledge, and skills. The students participate in research 80 percent of the time and, the remaining 20 percent of the time, are involved in workshops with the master teacher, attend seminars, and pursue their individual project assignments. The master teacher assists the pre-service teachers in translating their research experiences into inquiry-based K-12 educational modules that are aligned with national science standards.
Duration: 10 weeks
Application Deadline: 02/01/2009
Opportunity Website: http://www.inl.gov/k-12/pst.shtml
Sponsor Link: http://www.scied.science.doe.gov/scied/PST/about.htm

Benefits and Requirements

Benefits: Stipend
Housing
Travel Reimbursement
Benefit Explanation: $400 salary per week
Citizenship Requirement: U.S. Citizen or U.S. Permanent Legal Resident
Other Prerequisites: Currently enrolled student in undergrad/grad program intending to become a K-12 teacher in science, mathematics, or technology; at least 18.

Professional Development Opportunity Contact Information

Contact: Brenda Greenhalgh
Idaho Falls, ID 83415
Phone: (208) 526-9399