Professional Development Opportunity Detail Page
|Name:||Academies Creating Teacher Scientists (DOE ACTS)|
|School/Institution:||Brookhaven National Laboratory|
|Opportunity Type:||DOE Laboratory
|Teacher Level:||Middle School
|Description:||This program provides a six-week special training and research summer experience for in-service science and mathematics teachers at Brookhaven National Laboratory. Participating teachers receive a stipend, housing allowance, and travel expenses (see DOE ACTS website for restrictions).
During six weeks at Brookhaven National Laboratory, program participants:
* are matched with world-renowned scientists who serve as mentors
* are trained to use advanced scientific instruments
* attend seminars and lectures on scientific inquiry and recent discoveries
* complete a research project
* develop professional and technical communication skills
* work with a master teacher to develop educational modules and a professional development plan
* must be available for the entire six weeks, from July 6 through August 14, 2009
Teachers will be asked to continue to work with their mentors throughout the academic year via email.
Participating teachers will be eligible to receive mini-grants for projects to be carried out in their schools and funds to attend and present at professional conferences.
Teachers who successfully complete the program will be eligible to participate in successive years for a total of three years.
Benefits and Requirements
|Benefit Explanation:||$800 salary per week|
|Citizenship Requirement:||U.S. Citizen
|Other Prerequisites:||* Full-time middle and high school science and mathematics teachers in public or private school
* At least 21 year old, and U.S. citizen at time of application
* Have current health insurance coverage
Professional Development Opportunity Contact Information
Brookhaven National Laboratory
Building 438, PO Box 5000
Upton, NY 11973-5000