Member Institution Fort Hays State University
Fort Hays State University
Dr. Eric Deyo
Assistant Professor of Physics
If you are from this institution and wish to report data, please login.
Features of the Fort Hays Science Teacher Program
- A common set of goals for methods course across all secondary science areas has been established. This is coordinated through a university-level committee.
- All science departments collaborate with respect to preservice secondary science education majors (creation of a common science teaching methods course and creation of a common recruitment brochure)
- State performance assessment included also in methods classes
- Preservice science teachers are required to teach university laboratory classes with university faculty
- Science and Mathematics Education Center: www.fhsu.edu/scimathcenter
- A student chapter of National Science Teachers Association is active
- An annual trip to the state science teachers meeting is offered to all science teachers, K-12 – KATS – establishing professional connections
- Annual/Bi-yearly trip is organized to a national/regional science teachers meeting (AAPT, NSTA)
- Opportunities for employment of secondary science teachers exist through obtained grants
- Student membership in discipline-specific student clubs is strongly encouraged - Physics Club, Astronomy Club, Chemistry Club etc.
- Currently, we are creating a Science and math outreach center which would provide development opportunities for both preservice and inservice science teachers.