Supported Site SUNY Geneseo: Early Teaching Experience
- Ten different Geneseo physics teacher candidates presented BLTs in local physics classrooms in 2012-13. There were thirteen separate visits to six different school districts.
- In 2012-13 two sets of BLT equipment ("Slinky" and "Faraday Jump Rope") were designed, assembled, and built. (Goal 5 above)
- Participating students really enjoyed being part of this program.
- Undergraduate researchers took care of many of the logistics associated with arranging visits.
- First attempt at a BLT PER undergraduate research project was successful, although better design and implementation is desirable.
- Transportation - finding ways to get students to the schools was challenging.
- Scheduling - it is difficult to find times when Physics Teacher Candidates can meet with HS physics classes.
- There is significant effort in developing and implementing this program, but employing undergraduate researchers makes this more feasible. It may be hard to sustain beyond the life of the grant.
- We should continue the PER undergraduate research.
- See www.geneseo.edu/phystec for information on specific visits, etc.