Supported Site SUNY Geneseo: Recruitment
- We had seven evening meetings during the 2013-14 year to work on the BLT projects. The average attendance was 8.6 students.
- Visits of the TIR to late afternoon and evening lab sections led to more frequent interaction.
- On March 25, 2014 we hosted a group advising session of Teacher Certification in Physics to answer questions about the process of teacher certification in New York State.
- Four students attended the New York State section meeting of the AAPT.
- Late in the semester, student participation in PhysTEC activities falls off.
- Getting undergraduates to attend national physics meetings in the summer is difficult.
- Most of these activities are sustainable because they are inexpensive.
- We should plan PhysTEC activities early in the semester, when students are less busy.
- We should coordinate TAG meetings so that students can meet with teachers.
- TIR visited Phys 123, calculus-based introductory physics, classes to discuss physics teaching
- TIR visited Phys 124, calculus-based introductory physics, lab sections throughout the semester
- TIR kept regular evening office hours to assist students who might need help with introductory physics and to discuss physics teaching as a career.
- Project-designed posters (Teach People Physics) highlighting Geneseo alumni.
- Maintained and updated Geneseo PhysTEC website, http://www.geneseo.edu/phystec .
- Presented Geneseo PhysTEC materials in the department recruiting PowerPoint presentation for prospective students.