Supported Site California State University, San Marcos: Collaboration
- The CSUSM College of Science and Mathematics (CSM) and School of Education (SoE) collaboratively run the CSUSM Learning Assistants program. PI Price is in CSM and PI Lawler is in SoE.
- The PIs worked with the North County Professional Development Federation (NCPDF) to plan NorCoPE.
- The CSUSM LA program was extended to Palomar (described in the Early Teaching Experiences section).
- The SoE's secondary science education specialist is a retired faculty member who teaches science methods part time. PI Lawler is a math education specialist.
- These collaborative efforts benefit all participants in ways that are important to their communities. For example, the LA program supports course improvement (valued by CSM) and teacher preparation/recruiting (valued by SoE).
- This collaboration thrives due to common commitments and goals, including:
- PI are engaged in ongoing administration of LA program.
- PIs made a presentation to SoE faculty meeting (September 8, 2011).
- PIs met with with NCPDF Director (September 30, 2011; December 15, 2011; April 25, 2012; May 11, 2012).
- PIs met with Vista High School administrators (March 21, 2012).
- Math and science teachers from Vista High and San Marcos High visited campus during fall 2012.