Supported Site California State University, San Marcos: Goals & Outcomes
- The goal of the PhysTEC project at California State University San Marcos (CSUSM) is to increase the number of high school physics teacher credential candidates ("credential candidates"). Specific objectives are:
- Develop and offer a Physics Education Option in the Applied Physics major.
- Increase the number of physics Learning Assistants (LAs) from ~8/yr to ~12/yr, and expand the current CSUSM LA program to nearby Palomar Community College.
- Increase the number of credential candidates in physics.
- Create a professional learning community of North County Physics Educators (NorCoPE) including credential students and local high school physics teachers.
- In academic year 2013-14, there were 27 LAs (15 in fall and 12 in spring) in CSUSM physics courses. This is an increase from 9 in 2010-11 and 14 in 2011-12.
- The CSUSM LA program was successfully extended to Palomar, with a plan for institutionalization.
- Separate programs were integrated to include a focus on careers in teaching physics. For example, outreach programs with local schools were used as early teaching experiences, and the LA program was connected with the Noyce Scholars program.