Supported Site California State University, San Marcos: Goals & Outcomes
The goal of the PhysTEC project at California State University San Marcos (CSUSM) is to increase the number of high school physics teacher credential candidates ("credential candidates"). Specific objectives are:
- Develop and offer a Physics Education Option in the Applied Physics major.
- Increase the number of physics Learning Assistants (LAs) from ~8/yr to ~12/yr, and expand the current CSUSM LA program to nearby Palomar Community College.
- Increase the number of credential candidates in physics.
- Create a professional learning community of North County Physics Educators (NorCoPE) including credential students and local high school physics teachers.
- In academic year 2012-13, there were 28 LAs in physics courses (19 LAs at CSUSM and 9 LAs at Palomar), an increase from 9 in 2010-11 and 14 in 2011-12.
- The CSUSM LA program was successfully extended to Palomar, with LA support for 6 Palomar physics courses.
- The North County Physics Educators (NorCoPE) professional learning community continued meeting monthly, with participation by 9 local high school physics teachers.